Broderick Law Firm, LLC

Massachusetts Car Accident Attorney


When you’ve been involved in an automobile accident, it can be difficult to know what to do next. You may suddenly find yourself facing serious problems, including:

  • Injuries you may have sustained in the accident
  • The need for immediate and potentially ongoing medical treatment
  • The growing medical bills that come along with that treatment
  • Possible injury to other members of your family who were with you in the vehicle
  • Inability to work during your recovery
  • The psychological impact of the injury and resulting practical and financial strain

You probably know that you may be entitled to damages if someone else was responsible for your injury. But, you may not fully understand the mechanics of securing compensation, or how to protect your claim in the process.

Not Everyone Injured in a Car Accident Can File a Lawsuit

Massachusetts is a no-fault state. That means that if your injuries are minor, your own personal injury protection (PIP) coverage will pay some medical bills and compensate for some lost income. Under Massachusetts law, you can only seek compensation from the responsible driver if your injuries are “permanent and serious” or you have at least $2,000 in medical expenses.

If you do have a claim, the responsible party’s insurance company will likely immediately be hard at work trying to avoid paying you damages or minimize compensation. Their representatives are often friendly and seem concerned when you speak to them, but it’s important to remember that the only way an insurance company makes money is to take in more in premiums than they pay out in compensation. The less they pay you, the better their bottom line. So, you have to be very careful interacting with the responsible party’s insurance company. It is generally best not to speak with them at all, and instead to retain an attorney to speak with them on your behalf.

When is Another Person Responsible for Car Accident Injuries?

In general, another driver or someone else may be responsible for injuries you suffer in a car accident if their negligence caused or contributed to the accident. Some common examples of negligence that causes or contributes to automobile accidents include:

  • Colliding with another vehicle while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Running into another car or pulling into the lane of traffic because you were texting or otherwise distracted
  • Being involved in a collision because you failed to properly maintain your vehicle, such as driving with faulty brakes
  • Hitting another car because you disregarded traffic laws or signals, such as running a red light

An Experienced Massachusetts Automobile Accident Lawyer can Help

While you’re recovering from your injuries, in pain and juggling bills, it probably seems like talking to an attorney and getting involved in more complicated processes is the last thing you need. However, waiting can be counterproductive. When you retain a car accident lawyer shortly after your accident, the attorney will take responsibility for most aspects of moving the case forward. That means, for instance, that the lawyer will:

  • Manage deadlines and procedural requirements
  • Interact with the insurance company on your behalf
  • Gather evidence and interview witnesses
  • Collect evidence from the opposing party and provide evidence to them as required by law
  • Identify and hire expert witnesses as needed to establish fault in the accident and/or economic damages
  • Negotiate with opposing counsel
  • Prepare your case for trial, and, if necessary, present your claim to a jury

So, while it may seem that consulting an attorney and retaining a law firm and starting your personal injury claim moving forward may be time-consuming and stressful, the attorney can actually take much of the existing work and stress off your plate.

Attorney Kevin P Broderick has been helping people who were injured in car accidents for decades. To learn more about how he can help with your car accident injury claim, call 978-459-3085 or fill out the consultation form on this site. The initial consultation is absolutely free, and we charge on a contingency basis. That means you don’t owe us any fees unless and until we settle your case or win a verdict at trial.

Don’t Delay Talking to an Attorney

In most cases, you have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit in Massachusetts. But, it’s important not to let that seemingly very long timeline lull you into a false sense of security. There are many reasons that it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as you can after your car accident. For example:

  • It’s easy to make innocent mistakes that can harm your case
  • You may not be aware of deadlines that apply due to special circumstances, such as a claim against a governmental entity
  • The more time passes, the more difficult it is to secure certain types of evidence in your case
  • The more time has passed, the less likely witnesses are to have clear memories of what happened when your attorney speaks to them
  • The sooner you start your claim moving forward, the sooner it will be resolved and you will receive compensation

Take the next step right now to educate yourself about your rights and options after a Massachusetts car accident. Call 978-459-3085 to schedule your free consultation.

 Frequently Asked Questions

1. What should I do immediately after a car accident?

If you have been injured in a vehicle accident, your first priority should be to call 9-1-1 to receive appropriate medical attention and alert police. Additionally, the most important information to obtain after an accident is the name, telephone number, and insurance information of the other driver involved in the accident. Make sure you take pictures of the accident scene and all vehicles involved. Provide the other driver with your identifying information too, and if there are any witnesses, write down their names and telephone numbers.

2. Who will pay my medical bills?

Since Massachusetts is a no-fault car accident state, each driver’s auto insurance company will pay their respective drivers’ medical bills, supplemented by their own health insurance company regardless of who caused the accident.

Your auto insurance policy includes a section titled Personal Injury Protection (PIP). It explains that under Massachusetts law, your medical bills, lost wages, and other related expenses up to $8,000 are covered by your provider. If you’re insured by a private health insurance carrier and your medical bills exceed $2,000, you should submit the overage to your health insurance provider. If it’s not covered, then PIP will cover the cost up to $8,000.

3. When can I seek damages from a negligent driver after a car accident?

In order to seek additional financial compensation in Massachusetts the accident must have caused permanent and serious injury. This can include:

  • disfigurement
  • eye damage of loss of vision
  • hearing loss
  • amputated limb(s)
  • more than $2,000 in medical expenses
  • death (surviving family members can seek damages from an at-fault driver)

4.  How do I prove the other driver was at-fault?

A Massachusetts car accident attorney can help you gather  the evidence you need, including;

  • photos taken at the scene of the accident showing vehicle damage
  • police report of the accident
  • witnesses’ statements
  • expert testimony

5. If I am partially at-fault in the car accident, can I still receive compensation?

It depends. In Massachusetts, you can only recover damages if you are less than 50% at-fault. The total damages are reduced by the percentage of fault you share in the accident. If you were 25 percent at fault, then you would receive 75% of the total damages, but if you are more than 50% responsible for the accident, you cannot recover any damages.

6.  What should I say when the other drivers’ insurance company contacts me about the accident?

It is very important that you say nothing to them and contact a Massachusetts car accident attorney to communicate with them on your behalf. Do not speak to them until you’ve sought legal advice. Since the other drivers’ insurance company wants to pay you the least amount of money possible, they will use anything you say to help them accomplish that goal.

7. Can I still file a personal injury lawsuit if my accident occurred a year ago?

Yes. The statute of limitations for injuries or property damage resulting from a car accident is 3 years in Massachusetts, but you should file your lawsuit as close to the date of the accident as possible to increase the likelihood of receiving full compensation.

8. Why should I hire a Massachusetts car accident lawyer?

A knowledgeable Massachusetts vehicle accident lawyer will make sure your claims are filed in a timely manner and all the necessary evidence is collected to help you get the maximum amount of compensation you deserve. Your lawyer will fight on your behalf to ensure you collect compensation from your own insurance carrier or the other driver’s insurance company depending on who is responsible.

9. How much will a car accident lawyer cost me?

Most all personal injury lawyers only get paid if they win your case. This means they will take your case on a contingency fee basis and will receive a percentage of what is recovered through your settlement or trial.

10. How quickly will my case be resolved and what is it worth?

If your case is straightforward, you may be able to reach a settlement within 6 months. More complex cases involving serious injuries can take years to be resolved. This varies from case to case, but an experienced Massachusetts auto accident lawyer should be able to estimate the timeframe of your case.

It’s difficult for an attorney to tell you how much your case might be worth without reviewing all the evidence and knowing all the details of your accident. Once your case is assessed in full, your lawyer can provide an estimate of what it is worth based on his or her experience with similar cases.

Find Out More About Your Accident from an Experienced Lawyer

If you’ve been injured in an auto, truck, or motorcycle accident and have questions about what to do after, the Broderick Law Firm, LLC has the answers. Car accident injury attorney Kevin Broderick has more than 20 years of experience getting clients the financial compensation they deserve.

To learn more about your injury claim, contact the Broderick Law Firm now, or call 978-459-3085 to schedule your free consultation.

Are You a Victim of a Vehicle Accident?

You probably have many questions about your vehicle accident. You may be questioning who is financially responsible for damages to your property or the costs of your injuries. Let Attorney Kevin Broderick answer your specific questions and evaluate your case for free today!

CALL TODAY 978-459-3085

Kevin Broderick Law serves clients in Massachusetts and

New Hampshire.


Areas of service in















Areas of Service in

New Hampshire







The information you obtain on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters, and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Skip to content