When something as important as getting fair compensation for a serious injury is at stake, it’s only natural that you should want the best injury attorney available. However, if you have little experience with the legal system, you may not know what questions to ask or characteristics to look for in choosing a personal injury lawyer.
While every case and every client is different, there are factors every client should consider in choosing the best personal injury attorney for his or her case.
What Does “Best Injury Attorney” Mean to You?
Often, people searching for a personal injury attorney ask questions like, “What percentage of your cases do you win?” That’s a valuable piece of information, but it barely scratches the surface. Here are some other important issues you should consider in hiring a personal injury lawyer:
- What experience does the attorney have in handling cases like yours? The best car accident lawyer isn’t necessarily the best medical malpractice or product liability attorney.
- Is the attorney willing to take your case to trial if necessary? A surprising number of personal injury lawyers try to avoid the courtroom, so don’t just ask about win rates—ask how many cases the attorney has actually tried in court.
- How involved in your case will the lawyer be? At some firms, you meet with a partner once and he or she never touches your case file again—make sure you know who you’ll be working with.
- Does the law firm have the resources to manage your case? Some personal injury cases require a significant investment in preparation—be confident that the firm you retain has both the funds and the access to experts necessary to build a strong case on your behalf.
Subjective Factors in Selecting the Best Personal Injury Attorney for You
While objective factors such as experience and willingness to take your case to trial are critical, subjective factors can be just as important. You will be entrusting your lawyer with the pursuit of compensation that you may need to access much-needed medical care, make up for lost income, and rebuild after a serious injury.
It’s important that you trust the attorney you choose, and that you are comfortable working with the advocate you retain. You must be able to talk openly and honestly with your attorney, to provide all relevant information, and to ask questions.
Use your initial consultation with the attorney not just to ask questions and gather information, but to assess how well you interact and how comfortable you’ll be as you work together to build your case. For example, pay attention to:
- Whether you feel that the attorney is listening to you and taking your concerns seriously
- Whether you feel like you can ask questions or tell the attorney you didn’t understand something
- Whether you believe the lawyer cares about helping you get the compensation you deserve
- Whether the attorney provides information in a clear and useful manner
It’s natural to be uneasy when you first meet with a stranger to discuss something of great importance to you, but spending some time talking to an attorney experienced with cases like yours should make you feel more comfortable and confident.
Schedule a Free Consultation
Attorney Kevin Broderick understands how stressful the aftermath of a car accident or other serious injury can be. He is committed to helping you secure the compensation you need, and is happy to address your questions and concerns. You can take the first step toward pursuing fair compensation right now. Just call 978-459-3085 or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation.